Taking the Next Step: Walking Together to Build, Serve, and Proclaim Jesus
During the recent Next Step Vision Sunday presentation, Pastor Scott outlined the big picture by recalling the biblical analogy of walking with the Lord.
“We walk with the Lord. We walk in a manner worthy of the Gospel we’ve been called by. And a walk is a simple analogy. It’s day by day and step by step. ... And as a congregation, we’re walking ... as individuals and as a community.”
Read more below to learn about The Next Step!
Other useful links:
We’re walking together. What is our next step?
Looking at the current and coming needs of our church as well as the expanding Beaverton community, Pastor Scott highlighted a handful of the area’s new housing developments.
“As God has caused the community to grow, we have grown with it,” shared Scott, as an image of the construction on the nearby high school shown on the screen. “We need to be ready for the hundreds and hundreds of homes ... then, you go down Scholls Ferry and the apartments being built ... these are all people ... people who need Christ and need the Gospel.”
Pastor Scott then invited the church to look at our history and rejoice in God’s faithfulness throughout each stage of growth and building. Time and again, God supplied the right people, the right funds, and the right location. From the use of Black Bird Farms to the expansion of the church building to meet the needs of the middle, high school, and college students, God provided as the church family walked forward in prayer, planning, and building.
As part of the Next Step, Pastor Gary Dozier then shared the expansion of the summer kids’ camps, which will launch this summer as an all-day, full-season Adventure Camp. Jake Vanier and Ellen Staat, who currently serve as part of the Student and Children's Ministries, will head up this expanded ministry program.
The mission of the camp is to provide a safe, welcoming, and fun environment where kids can learn more about Jesus. Read more at SWKIDSAdventure.org and get involved:
- Sign up your kids! Watch SWKIDSAdventure.org for online registration in January 2017.
- Tell others about Adventure Camp! Pass along the details and share the website.
- Apply to serve. Visit the website to learn more and email email@example.com to receive an application.
Dedicated Space to Serve and Proclaim Christ to the Next Generation
As our community and church family continues to grow so do the needs of SWKIDS! To meet these needs, our Next Step includes a building expansion that will provide a permanent location for children’s ministries. Right now, limited space forces the children’s ministries to constantly move. The new SWKIDS four-story wing (building) would include:
- A larger room designed and dedicated for kids’ ministry
- Dedicated classroom spaces
- Larger secured check-in and pick-up area (creating an easy-to-find and natural entrance for families)
- Needed storage and office space
- Two large adult gathering areas (providing room for adult Sunday classes, weddings, seminars, and memorial services)
Other Building Improvements: New Commercial Kitchen
The SWKIDS Wing expansion creates a domino effect of blessings that meets a variety of pressing needs, like additional office/reception space and a much-needed commercial kitchen. The current kitchen is undersized for the food prep capacity required by our ministries. A larger commercial grade kitchen will be an equally critical part of the expansion. The planning for the kitchen update is in the beginning stages. Continue to watch for coming details.
What is Our Part in the Next Step?
Throughout the presentation both pastors focused on the main reason for expanding the building: to serve and meet the needs of the growing church body and surrounding community—and proclaim Jesus. Scott wrapped up by sharing that God had graciously already provided $3 million through a generous estate gift.
With half of the $6 million estimated cost covered, there is opportunity to walk together as we pray for the building up of the body of Christ during this season of growth. (Please see Pray and Participate below.)
“Thank you for coming. Thank you for praying. Thank you for giving of your time, your talents, your treasures,” shared Scott. “Over the years, as we look back, God is faithful.”
Pray and Participate: Join the Next Step!
- Please prayerfully consider how you can participate in this exciting next step through one time giving and a 3 year monthly pledge. You can pledge online or use the pledge cards found in the seat racks in the auditorium.
- Watch the full The Next Step: Vision Sunday presentation from Nov. 20 below:
- View Pastor Gary’s follow-up message “A Wise investment” from Nov. 27
- Watch for ongoing updates!
“ ... built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord.”
~ Ephesians 2:20-21