serving our community
Spreading the Good News about Jesus is what we are all about. We get out and interact with our community as individuals and in evangelism teams. That is just who we are. What else do we do to serve the needs of our community? Read on...
Portland Rescue Mission Learn more about PRM »
Every second Thursday of every month, a volunteer team carpools from the church to the Burnside PRM Shelter. We try to leave right at 4:45 pm.
We bring along six pots of our freshly brewed coffee to serve with dinner. We pitch right in, helping serve dinner and then clean up. On our night, it is also our responsibility to run a small chapel time following dinner. We usually get back to SWBIBLE by 8:30 pm. It’s a great opportunity to serve in a very tangible way and we really enjoy it!
Want to help too? We can always use more hands! We also could use a greater variety of chapel speakers and musicians.
Contact: John Opferman 503.332.5282
Door to Grace Learn more about Door to Grace »
We are heartbroken and ashamed that the Pacific Northwest is a major hub for sex trafficking in the United States. We are doing something about it.
"But, what can I do?" There are many ways to be involved!
- Be informed - ask to be added to the Door to Grace Contact List
- Pray - ask to be added to the Prayer Team List and receive current prayer requests so you can pray for Door to Grace’s ministry.
- Events - Help organize and serve at Door to Grace events and trainings.
- Fundraising - Help with Door to Grace’s annual Key2Free event or other fundraising efforts.
- Office Support - Telephones, reception, filng, data entry and typing.
- Information Technology - Assist with website updates, social media and blogs.
- Day Home Activity Support - Assist with activities such as crafts, biking, bowling, walks and more.
- Education Support - Assist with home schooling, homework, GED preparation or vocational training.
- Music - Provide lessons and/or play music at Door to Grace activities or events.
- Transportation - Assisting to transport youth to and from Door to Grace’s Day Home Program activities.
- Host Home - I would like more information about providing a home for youth.
- Public Speaker - I would like to be a member of Door to Grace’s Speaker’s Bureau.
- Volunteer at Adorned in Grace, a bridal and formalwear shop in Raleigh Hills, which sells and takes donations of new or gently-used dresses and accessories, with the proceeds going to Door to Grace.
As we see the statistics of children being enslaved in the sex-trade rise, we are seeing how the Lord is using a ministry like Door to Grace, working alongside community agencies, to rescue and bring healing to these victims.
“But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.” Romans 6:22
First Image existes to live out the heart of God to renew His image in the lives of those who have been impacted by sexual brokenness and abortion.
Portland Released-time Education Program (PREP4Kids)
Once a week, volunteers from our church body help bring God’s Word to children attending public schools in our community. We are also a part of PREP4Kids monthly financial support team.
Care to Share
Portland Rescue Mission Donations:
PRM collects donations for use in their shelters. We keep barrels near the gym entrance for you to drop off your donations. Once the barrels are full, we give PRM a call and they run over and load the contents onto their truck.
NOTE: Not everything can be used by PRM, so please look over the following list of items that they can accept and use:
New Undergarments (men and women)
“Cream of” Soups
Coats, Hats, Gloves
Men’s extra large and larger clothing
Travel size toiletries
**Please do not put household items and out of date food in the barrels**
Adorned in Grace Bridal & Formalwear
4949 SW 76th Avenue
Portland, OR 97225
Tuesdays - Fridays from 1-5 PM
Saturdays - 10 AM - 5 PM
No appointment necessary
How to Donate
If you are interested in donating a gown and/or accessories to help raise awareness, prevention or rescue victims of modern-day slavery, you can drop off or ship to: Adorned in Grace 4949 SW 76th Avenue Portland, OR 97225 Adorned in Grace has no paid staff so that all proceeds can go to fight human trafficking. Please consider including a check with your dress donation. You will receive a tax-deductible receipt for your donation.
Choice Adoptions is dedicated to providing every child with a permanent, loving family and provides services for both birth parents and adoptive parents. Their overarching mission is to lovingly prepare, nurture and advocate for all those involved in the adoption process.